The awesomeness of U2F Security Key By Katherine Lightwood

The awesomeness of U2F Security Key

By Katherine Lightwood


Recently my dear friend Praveen and I were discussing the recent Google IO event that happened in California, and how we would be so lucky if we could go there. But like always that was just a wishful thinking. He was showing me various new features and updates that Google has done over the years to improve itself. I was intently listening to him but in the back of my mind, I was wondering if Google has done an update on its security. The answer would be ‘hell yeah’ but I was not aware of any. The recent event of Facebook losing its data really shook both of us.

Even though we were not the direct victim of this thing but it was a big flaw in the world of technology and advancement, so our mood was a bit gloomy. Then suddenly, Praveen remembered something and violently pulled my hand to grab my attention towards him. As I was literally immersing myself in my phone, not giving a damn about what was happening in the chaotic classroom.  He started showing me a video he downloaded from somewhere and it was about the U2F Google security key and it was amazing. I was amazed by that new technology. Let me clarify here before I say anything. This thing is quite old not a new feature but for me, it was completely new. So, I am gushing about it now.

So, let me tell you what it is or what I have understood. It is a Google’s new security feature that allows you to have a new two-factor authentication for your Google account.  If you are not familiar with two-factor authentication, then allow me to tell you. It means an addition to your password you need a second code. This can be either sent to your phone or a key generator on your phone like ‘Google authenticator’ that will allow you to get into your account.  

Two-factor authentications is a great way to protect against unauthorized access to your online accounts. But it can be somewhat inconvenient and is still susceptible to fishing attempts and keylogging.

However, the mighty Google has created a protocol called U2F or universal second factor. And this protocol allows users to have a physical USB key that will act as their second factor when logging in to a service that supports the protocol.

To make it work, you have to go ahead and register one of your keys with a Google account. In a two-step verification setting under the security key tab, we have the option to add a new key. And once you’ve registered all you have to do is insert the key into a USB port. Then you can switch on the glowing key icon and they key is now linked to your account.

Now, when you will log into this Google account again, you will not be prompted with a scary code or restricting stuff. You will only be asked to insert that key. So, all you need to do is plug it in, tap the glowing icon again.

And just like that, you will be authenticated. If the key has ever lost, got stolen or breaks, it still has an option for using a code that has been generated by the Google Authenticator app.

So, that was my thought of the day. To see more posts like this make sure to visit our main page. And Do not forget to visit our institute's page to know more about graphic design, 3D, animation courses and other awesome stuff. Till then good day to you.

Katherine Lightwood

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mystic Flaming feather by Katherine Lightwood

My Burton Styled Christmas Photo Manipulation By Shubho Halder

That's how I got into my Christmas Vibe By Nandan Negi